Our priority is to present and support the diversity of NZ practitioners exploring practices relating to sound. These practices span the areas of contemporary art, zine work, performance, video and more.
Initially a virtual infrastructure, the Audio Foundation quickly became a Charitable Trust and began presenting programs such as Altmusic, publishing the Dirt Beneath the Daydream CD that went out to 9000 subscribers in the Wire magazine, the Erewhon Calling publication, and other initiatives such as the A/V Library.
In 2011, we were lucky enough to find the space we are in now and began a whole new life as a physical entity. In 2014, Zoe Drayton handed the reins over to the new Director Jeff Henderson after a fantastic 10 year stint building Audio Foundation to where it is today.
Audio Foundation is situated in the sub-basement of the Parisian Tie Factory in Poynton Terrace. We have a performance space, an online Radio Station, our A/V Library showcasing up to 60 days of NZ “avant garde” music and video, the Gallery space, Zine Library, Screening Room and a shop for underground NZ artists to sell their products to the wider public. Since opening as a hub we have presented numerous events including performances by local and international artists, regular exhibitions of art work relating to sound, panel discussions, workshops and film screening evenings.
• To support and promote the creation, production, and dissemination of innovative New Zealand audio projects.
• To foster and preserve an identity and history for NZ audio culture, and to promote this to the wider public.
• To enable research, development and preservation of creative artistic potential primarily concerned with audio culture.
• To facilitate access, engagement and connection from the audio community to the wider arts community.
• To maintain and provide a professional integrity through sustained communication, delivery of programs, facilitation and successful initiatives of all kinds.
The overall administration of Audio Foundation runs thanks to funding from Creative New Zealand and ASB Trust! Thanks guys!
Arts Administration Manager
AF Charitable Trust Board
Andrew McMillan (chair)
PARTNERS & FUNDERS
Creative New Zealand
Lotteries Heritage and Environment
The Lions Foundation
The New Zealand Film Archive
St Paul St Gallery, AUT
The Wine Cellar in St Kevs
The Physics Room
The Auckland City Council
Dunedin Public Art Gallery
The Audio Foundation mailing list has been serving the New Zealand experimental audio community since April 2005.
For more information and to subscribe, visit the AF List page.